Sunday, June 28, 2009

Some Ramblings

girl reading while lying in field of yellow flowers

One of my daily news sources is the British Guardian, and today as I was reading, I ran across an article on Siobhan Dowd. Her book Bog Child, which she finished just three months before her death from cancer, has taken the Carnegie medal for children's literature. She is its first posthumous winner. What struck me most was a quote included in the article. She said,


"If a child can read, they can think, and
if a child can think, they are free."

I agree so very much. As a tutor for many years, I've seen a direct correlation between literacy and quality of life. As teachers we are charged with an awesome task, often under challenging circumstances. But we must never lose sight of its importance. If you're interested, here is the link to that article.



six brightly dressed children in a row reading booksWhile sorting some papers I ran across this. It's just titled Hebrew Proverb.

"A child is not a vessel to be filled,
but a lamp to be lit."


No comments:

Post a Comment