Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Here is a Personal Perspective on a Well Worn Subject

by a blogger named Nadia Elawady.

I’ve Gone and Done It Now: What It’s Like Without the Muslim Headscarf

I wanted to know what it would feel like. I wanted to know how people’s perceptions of me would change and how my perception of myself would change. ...
What I noticed is that no matter what a woman wears, there are some people out there who treat women inappropriately. There are men who will harass women that are scantily dressed and men who will harass women covered from head to toe. There are people – men and women – who treat women with disgust because they are scantily dressed and other people – men and women – who treat women with disgust because they are covered from head to toe. ...

No matter what I wore, there were still the rude people, the nice people, and the we-could-care-less people. ...

The whole post is worth reading.

manequin head wearing dark blue Muslim head scarf 



In other news, IKEA's new Edmonton branch contacted TheHijabShop.com to design and produce a 'hijab' – that would fit in with their current uniform.





 In a world where intolerance in the form of
'protecting women's rights'
(see France for example) is gaining traction,
IKEA has gained respect in my eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment