Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Why Buy Local . . .


A lot of wonderful books have come to me via Amazon third party vendors. Often it was the only way I could even find a particular book, let alone afford it. But just as often, as I'm searching for something hard to find, I run across a book that looks good, at a reasonable price, and just pop it into my cart as well.

Then a few weeks ago, I had the chance to chat with the proprietor of a new (to me) used book store. The subject of online book buying with the major retailers came up, and started me thinking about my own book buying habits. 

If a book is one she doesn't have or can't get a hold of, a buyer's purchase from Amazon (or wherever) isn't a hit to her business. But customers are creatures of habit and they like convenience. Once they start buying on line, like me, they tend to continue. Buying on line is fast. It's easy. The selection is nearly unlimited.

 . . . "I'll just pick this up while I'm at it. . . . "

It's no secret that they have been hit hard and most are struggling to survive. When it's time to browse for new purchases do we check the brick and mortar stores first, or just head on line? I've decided to make some changes to my book buying habits.

I plan to do my best to support local, independent, brick and mortar stores as much as I possibly can. I had been doing this in other areas of my life already, It's about time I brought my book buying into line. To help with this goal I found IndieBound. A permanent link to their their Indie Store Finder is now on my sidebar. Read about IndieBound and then maybe you will join me.

Or perhaps you're way ahead of me. If you have any other tips on ways to support our friendly neighborhood booksellers, please share.

What is IndieBound? 

IndieBound is a community-oriented movement, bringing together booksellers, readers, indie retailers, local business alliances, and anyone else with a passionate belief that healthy local economies help communities thrive. ...

Why support independents?
When you shop at an independently-owned business, your entire community benefits:
- Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
- More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community. ...


Can I buy books on IndieBound.org? 
While we’re not an e-commerce site, we link to hundreds of independent bookstore websites all across the country. Click the red "Buy online from an indie bookstore" button on any book's info page, enter your zip code, and we'll transfer you to a local bookstore's website. You can even ask IndieBound to remember your choice for repeat shopping.


No comments:

Post a Comment