Thursday, December 27, 2012

BOOK REVIEWS. Sort Of.


This is my second post for THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN Book Challenge for 2012. The first can be found here with my reviews of 6 of the 9 books in the challenge. 

As I posted before, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen started as a graphic novel by Alan Moore featuring various classic book characters, and the movie followed in 2003. Once again this challenge comes to us courtesy of Booking in Heels.

I only managed one more book in the challenge. That leaves two unread.
I still plan to read the last two. I just didn't complete this challenge before the end of 2012.



King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard

I confess, I really wanted to like this one. The writing reminds me a bit of Edgar Rice Burroughs, and I'm sorry to say that I'm not a Burroughs fan. I realize that it was written in a different time, with diferent notions of correctness and acceptability. But . . .

Allan Quartermain may be Indiana Jones' predecessor, but I think Indy benefited greatly from his partnership with Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg.




~  ~

 
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde   









The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells (kind of)


2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you did so well with this challenge! A huge thank you for joining in - I didn't actually manage to finish but I read some great books along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I joined. Some of the books were ones I wouldn't have picked up otherwise, like "King Solomon's Mines."

      I think that is one of the benefits of the reading challenges for me. They push me to step outside my comfort zone.

      Delete