Saturday, December 22, 2012

Time to Take Stock



Lu at Regular Rumination gave us a few questions about The Poetry Project to consider.



1). What has been the most rewarding aspect of The Poetry Project so far?
This one is easy for me. The greatest reward of participating in the Poetry Project has been in becoming acquainted with all the other wonderful bloggers who have contributed as well. They've given me encouragement and inspiration, and I continue to grow and learn.
2). What is your favorite post from a fellow Poetry Project participant this year?
I'd have to say Lu's "How to Love a Poem." There have been books and articles galore written about writing poetry and analyzing poetry, but not much in the way of just plain loving it. Being that so many folks, even avid readers, say they dislike poetry, I think this is a wonderful thing. We need much more in this vein.
3). What is your favorite poem that you have read because of The Poetry Project?
I have a new current favorite, courtesy of Jeanne at Necromancy never pays. (which I have dutifully stolen)

Perhaps the World Ends Here
 - Joy Harjo

The world begins at a kitchen table. No matter what, we must eat to live.

The gifts of earth are brought and prepared, set on the table. So it has been since creation, and it will go on.

We chase chickens or dogs away from it. Babies teethe at the corners. They scrape their knees under it.

It is here that children are given instructions on what it means to be human. We make men at it, we make women.

At this table we gossip, recall enemies and the ghosts of lovers.

Our dreams drink coffee with us as they put their arms around our children. They laugh with us at our poor falling-down selves and as we put ourselves back together once again at the table.


This table has been a house in the rain, an umbrella in the sun.

Wars have begun and ended at this table. It is a place to hide in the shadow of terror. A place to celebrate the terrible victory.

We have given birth on this table, and have prepared our parents for burial here.

At this table we sing with joy, with sorrow. We pray of suffering and remorse. We give thanks.

Perhaps the world will end at the kitchen table, while we are laughing and crying, eating of the last sweet bite.
4). What are some poetry-related goals you’d like to set for the coming year?
My goals for last year were to write and edit more of my own poetry, and I have done so. But what I haven't done is research markets and submit. I never seem to find time. I'd hazard a guess that I am entertaining a bit of denial. Soooooooo . . . That would be my goal for the new year.
5). Do you have any suggestions for The Poetry Project in 2013? What would you like to see happen?
I like the structure now. There is support whether you are a free spirit or like a little extra inspiration. Because of the loose structure the contributions are wide ranging and offer so many wonderful surprises.
6). Share with us one line of poetry that you think we need to read.
I guess it's a sign of my age. For the longest time, I never really cared for J. Alfred Prufrock, but it seems to be growing on me. I grow old . . . I grow old . . . / I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.   
7). Is there a new poet that you have discovered through The Poetry Project?
There are many. Nancy Cudis over at Simple Clockwork has opened my eyes to some gifted poets that I'm saving my pennies to get a hold of, (I'm going to need a lot of pennies) Jaime An Lim being one, Cebuano poet E. Gadiana Cabras, for another. I believe each and every contributor to the Poetry Project has introduced me to a poet I've never read or a poem I've overlooked.
8). Anything else you would like to share?
I'm just grateful to everyone who has contributed to the Poetry Project. Some are self assured and courageous while others are timid and unsure, but all are wonderful. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

 photo of many closely packed poinsettias

No comments:

Post a Comment