Sunday, September 8, 2013

Have You Ever . . . Faked It?


Book Riot asked its readers to confess the books they pretend to have read.

828 readers completed the survey, listing 412 unique titles. We’ve got a lot of dead white guys on this list, and only 3 contemporary titles.

Of their top twenty, I have actually read 9. Yay! (in bold) However, I must confess that I once claimed to have read another 3. It was many, many years ago, in a situation where having read the books meant you were part of the club. (Ever been there?)

This clique had a way of belittling others. You know, that under the radar, confidence killing stuff, that high schoolers are so good at - and we were in college. This type of person irritates me to no end, and I admit, I caved. At the time, I convinced myself that I was gaining a platform from which to fight back. I know, it's no excuse. And in reality, they never heard anything they didn't want to hear anyway.

I'm sorry. Do you think less of me?

How about you? Have you ever claimed to have read a book that you haven't actually read?
What circumstances might make you do it?

Click {here} to see the entire list.

  1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (85 mentions)
  2. Ulysses by James Joyce - :(
  3. Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
  4. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - :(
  5. The Bible
  6. 1984 by George Orwell
  7. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  8. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  9. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
  10. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  11. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
  12. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
  13. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  14. Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
  15. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  16. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  17. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  18. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - :(
  19. Harry Potter (series) by J.K. Rowling
  20. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (21 mentions)

No comments:

Post a Comment