Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday Farmer's Market - I've Got Worms!



Created by Heather at Capricious Reader, and now hosted by Chris at Stuff as Dreams are Made on.





No. No. 
Not me personally.






 


You remember that terrarium I've been nurturing for most of the last year, sorting out plant choices and moisture levels, etc?
















For several months I've noticed swirly tracks in the condensation each morning, and I've been trying to identify what pest was causing them and how to deal with it.

Imagine my surprise when I saw a very young, but definitely recognizable earthworm, crawling up the side of the tank.
(Please forgive the picture quality.)























So now, on top of trying to track down plants that will thrive in a closed terrarium, I need to figure out how to balance the plant needs with the needs of my new tenants. Don't get me wrong. As a gardener I love the little gold spinners, but this is a terrarium not a compost bin. Doesn't that change the priorities?

My thought is that what ever I've done so far has made them happy, so as long as I don't deviate too much from that, they should be okay. Right? I hope anyway.

I can't find anyone even remotely local who knows about dealing with a large closed terrarium that is not also a vivarium, just some vague information on the internet. And now, with my new guests, there is even less information.

I seem to be pretty much on my own here. I have my gardening experience, of course. Then there is common sense coupled with trial and error. I need to find more appropriate plants and I fail as much or more than I succeed, but the terrarium seem to be stable so far.

By all means, if you have any ideas, feel free to offer.

How are things going for the rest of you? You all had some beautiful house plants and some very creative ideas this past year. I hope everyone is staying warm and well.

And the adventure continues . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment