Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saturday Farmer's Market - Getting Ready



Created by Heather at Capricious Reader, and now hosted by Chris at Stuff as Dreams are Made on.

UPDATE-ing the Garden:

Happy Saturday! How's everyone feeling today? I've had a busy week, and after so much time unable to do much, it has been nice.


I've started replacing the edgings around the beds with redwood bender boards. They're not fancy but they're sturdy and long lasting, and my bits and pieces of collected edgings are no longer up to the task.

They look much sharper than my mismatched bits and bobs, and secured with stakes, they're going nowhere.

I don't get much of a chance to use my power tools these days - but I have big plans!



The bed looks rather bleak and empty right now, but I will be spreading the veggies throughout the garden this year, and I actually hope to plant more than I did last year. I haven't decided what else I will be putting in this bed yet. I'll wait to see how my seedlings do first.

One of the benefits of adapting my garden for my disability should be an increase in the efficiency of my endeavors.

After I finish with the borders, I still need to build a few more things for the garden, most notably my cold frames.

While doing some work in the back yard we unearthed an old cast iron bath tub. Not a gorgeous claw foot tub, but a humungous apron front one that weighs a couple of tons.

We were wondering how to get rid of it, and then it occurred to us - it would make a great raised bed.

It took three people and a dolly to move it into place, but here it is, filled with soil and ready to plant.

I've also installed some high tech irrigation - a buried milk jug with holes in the side.



It still looks kind of ratty, but you need to remember that it's been buried for over twenty years. My son-in-law has plans to paint it in some creative way, and I will definitely show it off when he finishes.

I will also be camouflaging the open ends in some way yet to be decided.

There are marigold seeds planted against it in the front and along the street side and I plan to put my cucumbers inside it - bush cukes. That's what the package says anyway.



This particular bed is between the house and the walk way to the back yard on the west side. On the other side of the walkway are my fruit trees, and behind the trees is the six foot side fence. This is the warm side of the yard and where I usually do my cooler weather planting.

My onions and garlic are planted on one side of the tub and sweet peas are planted on the other.

This bed is fronted on the street side by a small bed of perennials which will be separated by a small trellis supporting morning glories and moon flowers. (hopefully, that is)



Have I told you about my conservatory yet? 



Although we finished the major construction, there is still a lot to do, but I've already managed to fill it.

It may be a work in progress, but it has enabled me to start many of my own plants for this summer, especially my veggies.

It's just a tiny little bay window that we walled off, sort of. It's kitschy and it reminds me of a Chicken Coop. We've had rave reviews from the neighbors.






Inside I have a greenhouse shelving unit, most of my houseplants, and a grow light that keeps them all happy.

But the most important residents right now are my seedlings. I have two flats. The first was started before we built the conservatory and didn't get enough light. The second was started inside, under the grow light, and looks very happy.



 


Flat #1: (These guys are looking a bit weak.)
  • Chamomile
  • Licorice
  • White Lavender
  • Eucalyptus
  • Red Poppies
  • Patchouli
  • Anise 
The two tins in front of the flat: 
  •  Columbine
  •  Chinese Lantern



Flat #2:  
  • Cucumbers
  • Squash
  • Red & Green Sweet Peppers
  • Jalapenos
  • Butterfly Weed
  • Cherry, Beefsteak, Abe Lincoln, & Box Car Willie Tomatoes
  • Rock Soapwort
  • Cilantro
  • Blue Fescue
  •  Crazy Shasta Daisies



Hopefully, these little sweeties will all be moving to the garden over the next few weeks.


Moon Missing 
- Allan Peterson
I was so worried the hickory I recognized
had died from salt burn in the last hurricane
I may have passed by vervain and apple haw
like they didn’t matter, but this spring
it put out seven shoots from its base.
Still, the oldest trick is the moon missing,
then the “new” moon appears,
though we know it’s the old one, and we pretend
to be taken in like the mother or baby
behind the bath towel.
Really it’s the moon winking,
being the stone that holds stones and now footprints.
And when I tell Frances, I see she is a moon
motionless in the doorway, skin reflecting
a lamp, a face that awakens on paper.

from: Fragile Acts. Copyright 2012.


UPDATE from Last Week:






The white and orange Daffodils are blooming now.














The first of my new Irises is preparing to bloom, lovely gifts from a neighbor.












 . . . and . . .

What a difference a week makes for:

the Pluots,














 the Nectarines,














and finally,

the Plums.








No comments:

Post a Comment