Friday, January 9, 2015

I Think the World needs Some Milk and Cookies and a Nap.

After I wrote that, I realized that the only time I bake cookies is at Christmas for the grandkids to decorate.

How about a nice coffee cake instead?

I've been making this recipe for centuries. The ladies in my parish back in the 'old country' put together cookbooks as fund raisers for the local parochial school, and the book this recipe comes from is older than my children.

OLD FASHIONED CRUMB CAKE

2 C brown sugar
3 C flour
1/2 C butter (cold, cut in pieces)

Crumble the above mixture into a course meal. (The recipe says with your fingers, but my stand mixer does a bang up job & doesn't warm the butter.) Save 1C of mixture for topping.

To the remainder, add 1C buttermilk with 1 tsp. of baking soda added. Mix. (If you don't happen to have buttermilk on hand, 1 T of vinegar or lemon juice in the milk will do the trick.)

Divide between two greased 8" pans, cover with portion of mixture you set aside, sprinkle generously with cinnamon, and dot with chunks of butter.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.

Come to think of it, I drink tea with my coffee cake - while I read.

I guess the title of the post should have been:

"I Think the World Needs Some Tea and Coffee Cake and a Good Book."

It just doesn't have the same ring, does it?

(By the way, this isn't a picture of my coffee cake. It doesn't last long enough to actually get a picture of it.)

2 comments:

  1. I love coffee cake. Would like to try and make this. At what point do you put the topping portion back on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, Jeane. I've made this recipe so many times that I didn't even notice I left a part out. I've updated the post to fix my omission.

      You cover the batter with the topping portion before adding the cinnamon and butter. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete