Saturday, July 2, 2016

It's A Garden Party! - More Fruit!


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi-xUMMwSRLBzNqkDj1hoiMMOg61KugUQuJWUBnEG-1_m2wBLd74_9Uz9oADi1UU-hIy8NZoTRYX73-CFzNKv4fMLteW3RirhdKpAiXzQptfFUoj8eb-Uuetdp0XUHg-yY2qoTxmLK0gfA/s1600/P5050138+c.JPG

This feature, originally known as Saturday Farmer's Market, was created by Heather at Capricious Reader, and was then hosted by Chris at Stuff as Dreams are Made on.

If anyone would like to share their own gardening adventures with me - large or small, inside or out - I would love to see them.
Just leave a link to your post in the comments.

Behind a Wall
- Amy Lowell

I own a solace shut within my heart,
  A garden full of many a quaint delight
  And warm with drowsy, poppied sunshine; bright,
Flaming with lilies out of whose cups dart
      Shining things
      With powdered wings.

Here terrace sinks to terrace, arbors close
  The ends of dreaming paths; a wanton wind
  Jostles the half-ripe pears, and then, unkind,
Tumbles a-slumber in a pillar rose,
      With content
      Grown indolent.

By night my garden is o'erhung with gems
  Fixed in an onyx setting. Fireflies
  Flicker their lanterns in my dazzled eyes.
In serried rows I guess the straight, stiff stems
      Of hollyhocks
      Against the rocks.

So far and still it is that, listening,
  I hear the flowers talking in the dawn;
  And where a sunken basin cuts the lawn,
Cinctured with iris, pale and glistening,
      The sudden swish
      Of a waking fish.


Pluots!

These are a cross between plums and apricots, and they are delicious.
It was a small harvest this year, but a nummy one.


These are the leaves on my Lemon Tree.
There is no fruit yet, but citrus trees are slow and deliberate growers.
Soon . . .

The Apple Trees, that the puppy gnawed to sticks, are doing well. I was about to declare them dead and pull them up when I saw some tiny green buds. Sure enough, they grew back. They are about three and a half feet tall now. It looks like all we'll lose is a year of growth.

The Heat has been record breaking for this time of the year, hovering between 103 & 110 degrees for over a week. Strangely enough, the plants that are suffering the most are my succulents. I need to move them too another spot, but I have to make another spot first. Such is the life of a gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment