Thursday, June 18, 2009

NEW TOY ALERT!


I received my birthday present two months early this year, and I am so excited about it! I've just begun playing with it, and I think it is something to share here. It is a PULSE PEN by LIVESCRIBE.
pulse pen on paper
I write, and have always started longhand. I then entered it into the computer to revise. If I wanted to work on a piece, say, at a coffee shop, I'd have to print it out again and then reenter the new changes. What about a laptop, you query? Well, I haven't always had one, and even when I finally did, it wasn't always as convenient as it was cracked up to be. (Plugs/battery life, space & security issues, etc.)

Soooooooo ...

I had been looking at writing options for people with motor disabilities, and the thing they have most in common is high price. Universal Design for Living, however is gaining momentum in our fast paced, digital world. Who knew that things made for the convenience of "normal" people, (and I write that with tongue firmly in cheek) would be helpful to those with disabilities?
livetext screen
The Pulse Pen can actually record a lecture while you are writing and connect it to your notes so that you capture a more complete picture. This is important for those with motor issues as well as those with attention and input issues. Write key words and the program indexes the recording with what you wrote and when you wrote it (so you can keep actual writing to a minimum). When you get home, put the pen in its cradle and it all is uploaded. I have a MAC Air Book, and installation was effortless.

I am not describing it well, so you need to go to the website.
pen laptop and notebook
Oh, and I mentioned price before. The 2G model was priced reasonably - much better than some products built specifically for those with disabilities. The key is to know what you need from a program or device, and find one that meets that need. The pool of choices is expanding and I, for one am excited.

The saga will continue ...

No comments:

Post a Comment