Monday, July 5, 2010

from THE DRESSING ROOM

by Medbh McGuckian
Left to itself, they say, every foetus  
would turn female, staving in, nature  
siding then with the enemy that
delicately mixes up genders. This
is an absence I have passionately sought,  
brightening nevertheless my poet’s attic  
with my steady hands, calling him my blue  
lizard till his moans might be heard  
at the far end of the garden. For I like  
his ways, he’s light on his feet and does  
not break anything, puts his entire soul  
into bringing me a glass of water,

I can take anything now, even his being  
away, for it always seems to me his  
writing is for me, as I walk springless  
from the dressing-room in a sisterly  
length of flesh-coloured silk. Oh there  
are moments when you think you can  
give notice in a jolly, wifely tone,  
tossing off a very last and sunsetty
letter of farewell, with strict injunctions  
to be careful to procure his own lodgings:
that my good little room is lockable,  
but shivery, I recover at the mere  
sight of him propping up my pillow.

from Selected Poems,  Copyright © 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment