Friday, March 23, 2012

Trayvon Martin . . .

statue angel of grief
Each time I read that poor young man's name, my heart breaks.

I have sons. I have grandsons. And I have many worries and fears for them as they grow and make their way in the world. But regardless of the decisions and mistakes they may make in their lives, there is one fear I need never have for them.

I need never fear that an entitled bigot will put a bullet in them as they beg for mercy, just because of how they look.

And I need never fear that the law will then decide to ignore and contradict witnesses, refusing to mount a real investigation, and let the assailant go free.

My heart breaks for that young man, and for his mother. And my heart breaks for all the other young men who look like Trayvon, and for their mothers. For this fear is a daily part of their reality. How many mothers and sons must live out this nightmare?

And my heart breaks for the kind of broken society that can possibly justify it, in any way.



No comments:

Post a Comment