Wednesday, March 6, 2013

This Month's Poetry Project Prompt (See What I Did There) is Poetry Published Within the Past Year.


This year I decided to start reading more poetry periodicals. (the alliteration just keeps on coming) That means lots and lots of new poetry. I subscribe to a few and I found a couple at the local B&N. (Unfortunately, they're about the only place near me where you can find anything other than gun, guitar, and girly magazines)

I like the idea of supporting emergent poets as well as veterans, and poetry journals publish some of the best new poetry out there. Some journals publish both print and online versions, while others only publish online. Like everyone else these days, they're struggling and, sadly, more than a few have lost that struggle. Which is why it's more important than ever to support our favorites.

Some journals contain wonderful articles about writing and spotlight poets regularly. Others contain short stories, artwork, and book reviews. There is sure to be something out there for everyone.

Another benefit of subscribing to poetry journals (if you are absent minded like me) is the little surprises that show up in the mail periodically. Here are a few I enjoy:

                           Ampersand Review, The National Poetry Review, & Rosebud     

And . . . two I already reviewed:
                                                Modern Haiku, & Acorn     

This is from: Frogpond Journal:
shades of winter
my mother in the passage
between dreams
Lorin Ford
    Melbourne, Australia
fountain pen lying on beige parchment paper

 
Also . . . of possible interest:


Ms. blog posted a list detailing their choices for 2012's Best Poetry by Women. Sadly, I haven't read any of them yet. But I do intend to change that situation.

. . . & . . .

The Small Press Distribution website lists bestselling contemporary poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment