Saturday, October 24, 2009

CHECK THIS OUT!

Wordgathering
A Journal of Disability Poetry

black and white photo of tre and shrubs in fog or mist.Wordgathering is produced by members of the Inglis House Poetry Workshop. The workshop is a collaborative of writers with disabilities who reside at Inglis House in Philadelphia, Pa. The workshop has been meeting, sharing and critiquing poetry for the past eleven years. In addition, they have worked to promote the writing of poets with disabilities through the annual Inglis House Poetry Contest, chapbook productions, and Poetry and Disabilities Conference. The workshop is is also affiliated with Dispoet, a blog for the discussion of disability and poetry. Writing by individual members may be viewed at the workshop website , as can the winners of the 2007 Disability Poetry contest.

Sample: 
bi-polar

door number one or two?
what will it be today?
<1>

head swirls like a dreadle
spun by nameless forces
whirling out of control

compelled to spend
to talk
to screw

grandiose extravagance
unlimited creativity
racing thoughts

thrilled with life
and all its possibilities
I know I can do it all
<2>

colors fade
to grey
on black

head aches with fear
paranoia
and despair

demoralized
as a torture victim
in Guantanamo Bay

my life is defective
I have a tombstone
way of thinking

Linda Fuchswas diagnosed bi-polar several years ago. She writes, "Sadly, I am unable to work any more. The silver lining of this is I have discovered my creative side in working and painting. These pursuits help soothe me and allow my feelings to be shown." Her book The Midnight Ramblings of an Insane Woman was published in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment