Friday, February 12, 2010

PERSPECTIVES

Many people believe that right here, right now is all there is, and that they have to be and do their best in this world, and not wait for later.  If you believe this way, then it is not an option to lay waste this world and its peoples; war, poverty and social issues, climate change and husbandry of resources, are all issues of immediate concern, not ones to debate ad nauseum.
“[A]s we sat in those holes, praying that God would save us, I thought about the fact that the other side was doing the same thing. And then I wondered if God is just playing some kind of game with us. Pretty much I decided at that point there was no God,” [Milton] Christian said. “For the rest of my life, I’ve tried to do the right thing. I raised a beautiful bunch of kids — and they truly are my greatest accomplishment. So I’m not worried about what’s next. If there is a God, I think he’ll know that I just did the best I could. That’s all a man can do." - UnionLeaderdotcom
This quote puts me in mind of Mark Twain's posthumasly published "THE WAR PRAYER." I posted it in video form last October, HERE. Although out of print, many used copies are for sale by Amazon's third party vendors. I also found the text on a website here. It is worth a thoughtful read ESPECIALLY if you are certain of your beliefs. Wasn't that always Twain's gift, to make us think about our beliefs?

No comments:

Post a Comment