Saturday, June 30, 2012

for My Love on Our 23rd Anniversary . . .


Sonnet 138
- Wm. Shakespeare

elongated shadow of couple holding hands
When my love swears that she is made of truth
I do believe her, though I know she lies,
That she might think me some untutor'd youth,
Unlearned in the world's false subtleties.
Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
Although she knows my days are past the best,
Simply I credit her false speaking tongue:
On both sides thus is simple truth suppress'd.
But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
O, love's best habit is in seeming trust,
And age in love loves not to have years told:
   Therefore I lie with her and she with me,
   And in our faults by lies we flatter'd be.



ALSO

from: Rabbi Ben Ezra  
old hands, two male hands gently holding one female hand

Grow old along with me!
   The best is yet to be,
The last of life, for which the first was made:
   Our times are in His hand
   Who saith, 'A whole I planned,
Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be 
       afraid!'





2 comments:

  1. It's very interesting to know of other oldyweds (I'm looking at a 30th wedding anniversary this August). Also, I've always wanted to know a couple who thought this Shakespearean sonnet fit their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! Are you going to have a big celebration?

      In my mind, this sonnet is about being totally aware of each others' shortcomings and faults, but not caring.

      Is it really a lie to say that your aging, plump, moody love is the most beautiful, trustworthy person in the world and holds your life is in her/his hands?

      To me it's not. It's just seeing through eyes of love. I suspect this describes a lot more relationships than people think.

      Again, Congratulations.

      Delete