Thursday, April 4, 2013

Goodbye Mr. Ebert. We'll See You At the Movies.







On Tuesday Roger Ebert wrote on his blog, Roger Ebert's Journal, that he planned to slow down and take it easy. Today we hear that he has left us. My thoughts are with His wife Chaz, their family, and those who knew and loved him.





I have a soft spot in my heart for those who are capable of deep compassion, critical thinking, and stunning command of language. I did not always agree with Mr. Ebert's movie reviews, but he always made me think. As his illness progressed and he lost the ability to speak his voice seemed to crystallize. Humor, intelligence, and compassion informed his writing and his life, and it is with a heavy heart, therefore, I say goodby to Roger Ebert.


"I have no desire to live forever. The concept frightens me. I am 69, have had cancer, will die sooner than most of those reading this. That is in the nature of things. In my plans for life after death, I say, again with Whitman:

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,

If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.
 - Roger Ebert,
His memoir: Life Itself.

1 comment:

  1. Really was sad news :( He certainly left his mark on the world though and in the hearts and minds of many!

    ReplyDelete