Monday, July 22, 2013

from: Litany in Which Certain Things Are Crossed Out

- Richard Siken
painting of red heart with stitches and bandaid

Dear Forgiveness, you know that recently
                     we have had our difficulties and there are many things
                                                                                                  I want to ask you.
I tried that one time, high school, second lunch, and then again,
             years later, in the chlorinated pool.
                                      I am still talking to you about help. I still do not have
             these luxuries.
I have told you where I’m coming from, so put it together.
                                                            We clutch our bellies and roll on the floor . . .
             When I say this, it should mean laughter,
not poison.
                  I want more applesauce. I want more seats reserved for heroes.
Dear Forgiveness, I saved a plate for you.
                                                  Quit milling around the yard and come inside.


from: Crush. Copyright 2006.
I found this at Poetry Foundation.
Image Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment