Saturday, August 15, 2015

It's A Garden Party! - More Odds Than Ends




This feature, originally known as Saturday Farmer's Market, was created by Heather at Capricious Reader, and then hosted by Chris at Stuff as Dreams are Made on.





This showed up in the yard a while ago, and as we try to encourage any volunteers that might happen by, I let it stay.

It's located 'conveniently' between the actual beds and near the sidewalk.

I figured it was a Squash or a Cucumber, and was I surprised!








It looks remarkably like a Butternut Squash, don't you think?

I'd like to thank the birds for this lovely gift.

They share in my Fruit harvest, but give back so much in the form of pest control, song, and just plain beauty to the garden. Now they've added planting (something besides Sunflowers) to the mix.





Of course, the Oranges are hanging in there.

The tree doesn't seem to have suffered much so far from the change over in watering.

I still hold my breath when it comes to this tree. The Master Gardener said that it is so finicky because we are actually past the zone where they thrive.

I guess that's why you only see them in every third or fourth yard!








Tomatoes anyone?

The plants have taken over this bed, and I'm getting plenty of fruit along with the foliage.










The Bananas are also still happy.

I was afraid that the water cutbacks, might be a problem for them but they seem to be thriving.

Now, if I can believe the literature, We've only the frost to worry about.

The earlier the first frost hits, the less likely we are to have fruit.



 

Ah! Sunflower
- William Blake

Ah Sunflower, weary of time,
Who countest the steps of the sun;
Seeking after that sweet golden clime
Where the traveller's journey is done;

Where the Youth pined away with desire,
And the pale virgin shrouded in snow,
Arise from their graves, and aspire
Where my Sunflower wishes to go! 




No comments:

Post a Comment