Saturday, September 12, 2015

It's A Garden Party! - Some Autumn Color and A Couple of Friends




This feature, originally known as Saturday Farmer's Market, was created by Heather at Capricious Reader, and then hosted by Chris at Stuff as Dreams are Made on.

A Lesser Gold Finch takes a break from eating pests in my garden to pose for the camera.

They are quite gregarious and acclimate easily to my presence, whether I am shooting photographs, working in the garden, or simply enjoying the atmosphere.

Although there are stragglers throughout the day, in the early morning and early evening they congregate in noisy, large numbers at the feeder.

Presumably they are all sharing how their days went and making plans for the next day.


Next up is the Coopertina Ninebark.

It varies in its copper shades throughout the season, but it is always stunning.

It has grown so much this year that its growth habit reminds me of a large breed dog in its adolescence, all gangly and leggy.

Its job is to lessen the effect of the afternoon sun on the west side of the house and I think it will do just fine.

All I've read suggest that pruning is good for it and it seems to be happy where it is.


I took a chance and didn't buy Lady Bugs this year.

There were still a lot, like this little gal.

(Do boy lady bugs have issues?)

They are still around, but I wish I had supplemented the population earlier.

I have started seeing aphids and their little ant overlords.




Ladybird, ladybird
 - Mother Goose

Ladybird, ladybird,
Fly away home,
Your house is on fire
And your children all gone;
All except one
And that's little Ann,
And she has crept under
The warming pan.
Finally, my Marigolds seeded themselves last year. I harvested the seed but never replanted. This little patch has been going all Summer and looks like it may continue until we get frost.


No comments:

Post a Comment