Saturday, October 15, 2016

It's A Garden Party! - In the Jurassic!


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi-xUMMwSRLBzNqkDj1hoiMMOg61KugUQuJWUBnEG-1_m2wBLd74_9Uz9oADi1UU-hIy8NZoTRYX73-CFzNKv4fMLteW3RirhdKpAiXzQptfFUoj8eb-Uuetdp0XUHg-yY2qoTxmLK0gfA/s1600/P5050138+c.JPG

This feature, originally known as Saturday Farmer's Market, was created by Heather at Capricious Reader, and was then hosted by Chris at Stuff as Dreams are Made on.




If anyone would like to share their own gardening adventures with me
- large or small, inside or out -
I would love to see them.

Just leave a link to your post in the comments.

~
Snow Drops are on their way!


I took some trash out to the can yesterday and saw an empty Crispy Kreme box on the ground.

I also saw something else.

I may have mentioned the chicken tearing up my garden. Well, here she is . . . along with a surprise. I only count ten in this picture, but there are eleven.


Here she is in front of the Cape Honeysuckle. What you can't see is that it's raining and and she is protecting her babies beneath her.


Here they are running in terror as I try to get a decent picture of them.

Why do I care about the prehistoric monsters who are tearing up my garden? I don't know.

All right. Yes. They're cute and I can't help it.

There. Are you happy now?


 And look!
The California Poppies are still hanging on.

Although it was afternoon when the picture was taken, this poppy is still sleeping. Since it was overcast and raining it felt no need to get up. I often feel the same way.


Woman Feeding Chickens
Her hand is at the feedbag at her waist,
sunk to the wrist in the rustling grain
that nuzzles her fingertips when laced
around a sifting handful. It’s like rain,
like cupping water in your hand, she thinks,
the cracks between the fingers like a sieve,
except that less escapes you through the chinks
when handling grain. She likes to feel it give
beneath her hand’s slow plummet, and the smell,
so rich a fragrance she has never quite
got used to it, under the seeming spell
of the charm of the commonplace. The white
hens bunch and strut, heads cocked, with tilted eyes,
till her hand sweeps out and the small grain flies.

from: A Far Allegiance, Copyright 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment