Tuesday, May 29, 2012

BOOK REVIEWS. Sort Of.

Reading the books is easy. 
Writing about them regularly, even just a little blurb, is not. 
Here are the "reviews" of a few of my latest reads.
If you are interested in other books I've read, check out the Books That I Have Known page above.


A Monstrous Regiment of Women - Laurie R. King     

I enjoyed this second book in the Mary Russell series as much as the first. Ms King has a comfortable grasp on the Victorian society which spawned Sherlock Holmes, and the evolution of that society.

The book ends with a development that is not entirely unexpected but upon which I am undecided. Oh, I know it was all but inevitable, given the overarching trajectory of the series and the demands of the society in which it is set. It just leaves me, I don't know, unsettled.

Yes, I know. I'll get over it.

What do you think. I'd appreciate hearing alternative ideas which would solve all pertinent issues as gracefully as Ms King's chosen one. Just a thought exercise.



A Letter of Mary - Laurie R. King    

An interesting story, but a bit sad. Family stuff and all.

Still I enjoyed it.






The Moor - Laurie R. King  

In this Mary Russell book we find ourselves drawn back to probably Sherlock Holmes' most famous case, The *cough* Hound of the *cough* Baskervilles *cough*.

We also learn a bit more about Holmes' mysterious background.

Book four and I'm still enjoying the series.



No comments:

Post a Comment